This is free thinking logo in white

If you’re applying to study at Murdoch, you’ll need to meet the minimum entry requirements for your program.

Each discipline has its own qualifying criteria, so make sure you check the specific entry requirements for each course.

If you’re applying as an international student, you’ll be required to meet some additional requirements and demonstrate English proficiency through one of the following:


We offer a range of admission pathways to study at Murdoch, taking into account your high school results, previous studies, and your work and life experience.


To apply for an honours degree, you’ll need to have successfully completed a bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject. Generally, you’ll need to have achieved a distinction (or equivalent) average in your final year of studies. You’ll also need to find an academic staff member with relevant expertise to supervise your research.

Other prerequisites may apply – for more information about entry to specific honours courses, please contact the relevant Academic Chair.

Postgraduate course

To apply for most of our postgraduate courses, you’ll need to have completed a relevant undergraduate degree. In some cases, you may qualify for entry with evidence of professional work experience.

Research degree

To apply for a research degree, you need to provide evidence of your academic or professional accomplishments. This evidence needs to demonstrate that you have the necessary experience and skills to carry out your proposed research project.

Entry requirements vary between degrees, but are likely to include one or more of the following:

  • An honours qualification – completion of a bachelor's degree with first class honours (or upper second class honours) from Murdoch, or the equivalent at another university.
  • A postgraduate coursework qualification – completion of other postgraduate qualifications that involved a substantial research project, such as a master’s degree.
  • Other qualifications or work experience – evidence of your professional work experience conducting research projects. If you’ve led large projects, presented at conferences, published research outcomes or implemented organisational change, these might demonstrate your ability to fulfil the entry requirements.

Additional requirements for international students

Meeting the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement

In addition to providing copies of your academic qualifications, English test results and passport, you must complete and submit a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) form with your application.

  • If you're currently residing in Australia, you must complete the GTE Stage 1 – Onshore form.
  • If you're currently residing outside of Australia, you must complete the GTE Stage 1 - Offshore form.

Failing to submit the required GTE form may cause delays in the processing of your application.

Expressions of interest in research candidature

Prospective international research applicants are required to complete and submit an EOI in Higher Degree Research Candidature form before applying for admission.

The information you provide will be used to assess your qualifications and suitability to undertake higher degree research and the Graduate Research School’s capacity to provide you with an advisory team, research facilities, project funds and general infrastructure and support services.

If your expression of interest is successful, you will be invited to submit a formal application.

Ready to apply?

If you’ve decided what to study and know the entry requirements for your course, take the next step and apply to Murdoch.

Apply nowFind your course

Questions? We're here to help.

Future Students


+61 8 9360 6063
Opening hours
Mon – Fri: 8am – 6pm

Make an enquiry


1300 687 3624
Opening hours
Mon – Fri: 8am – 6pm

Make an enquiry

Current Students

Student Centre

1300 687 3624
Opening hours
Mon – Fri: 8:30am – 4:30pm

Make an enquiry